Question
Posted by: Lee | 2012/07/03

Please help

Dear Doc
I am so depressed.I took my 6year old to a school i felt had same values as our family,problem is they same she is not fitting .Firstly they said her language is not good and recommended a speach therapist,the results were she has language delay since she is not an english first language speaker,with help the help of a speach therapist she will be fine since she is a bright girl.

Now with her June results they say she needs an Education Psychologist because she has very little grasp of the concept of patterns and when trying to create a number combinations she is unable to count the object and hold the number in her memory for long enough to formulate a sum.For how long am i going to take her to specialist,for heaven sake she is only in grade R.

I am so heart broken i am crying as i type this. I feel these are just excuses and maybe i must just move my child to another school.

If one has some difficulties in speaking a second language, that can be helped simply by language learning, and kids are usually far better than adults at learning new languages, with excellent accepts. If any child has developmental speech problems,these will show up in her fist language, too. They need to be assessed properly by a specialist, if possible a paediatrician and he may recommend a paediatric neurologist or neuropsychologist if one is available. And they MAY reccommend some form of psychological or speech therapy.
I have no faith whatsoever in diagnoses or treatment recommendations made by teachers, who too often behave as though they get kickbacks for referrals - they have no training or competence to do more than recognize that a child MIGHT have a prolem which needs the appropriate expert assessment and advice.
I also get the impression that some schools have insufficiently skilled teachers, who prefer to blame the child if they don't learn well in a bad learning environment.
An Educational Psychologist may be able to do some basic testing and assessment to reveal whether this is a real problem with which the child needs help, or if the problem lies mainly in the teachers

3
Posted by: Lee | 2012/07/03

Thank you so much SK and Cyber Shrink for your good advise.

Reply to Lee
Posted by: SK | 2012/07/03

Mother''s intuition. Follow it, if you believe your child is progressing but is made to feel inadequate then please look for another school. Some schools are just ruthless, and you will find that your child might florish more in a different school. Ask other teachers or her therapist''s opinions and take it from her. Also ask her how she feels to determine if she is really enjoying school, you might find she is made to feel stupid which is also impacting on her progress. Best start making decisions now when the registration period is still open. Good luck

Reply to SK