Question
Posted by: Wouter | 2012-04-03

PLEASE help

Hi there,

I have a 3 year old miniature dachshund. I think he is allergic to grass. He keeps on crawling on his belly, scratching, licking and biting. His belly has a red rash with little inflamed bumps. We took him to the vet last year and they did tests to see it might be a parasite but it was not. They gave him a shot and pills to drink. They also give him a special shampoo. It helped a little but we recently moved and it is much worse now. He has been licking is paws so often that the pads has become infected.

I really hate to see him suffer like this. Is there anything I can do??

Hi Wouter

Skin allergies can be complicated to resolve and frustrating to control/ resolve. I would advise that if you have the finances that you discuss the matter with your Vet and go for a skin scrape/skin biopsy/dietry change/allergy testing. The tests are expensive but they may assist you I determining what the problem is.

I do hope you get the problem resolved.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

3
Posted by: CyberVet | 2012-04-24

Hi Wouter

I do hope you get the problem resolved.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Neha | 2012-04-21

Great talk. The whole subject is still an eanlhpet in the room. I recently heard that the life expectancy for a baby girl born in Ireland today is 100 years!In medieval Britain the average life expectancy was 30. However for the British aristocracy during this time it was 59. Sometimes we forget that many didn''t die of age related disease centuries ago so it''s harder to gauge the true increase in live expectancy. However with stem cell research and genomics we''re on the cusp of a new age.

Reply to Neha
Posted by: ICE | 2012-04-04

You can test whether or not your dog is allergic to grass by allowing the dog only onto non-allergenic surfaces such as tiles and brick pavement for a few weeks, if he is okay, then add carpet and cement pavements, still okay, then allow him out onto the grass and soil again.If the dog is indeed allergic to grass and you cannot keep him away from grass permanently, you may have to put him on an anti-histamine chronically It is usually an over-the-counter pill like allergex, but first take the dog to the vet to determine the correct dosage (especially since your dog is so small and easy to overdose).

Reply to ICE