Question
Posted by: Sherry | 2011/10/04

Please help!?!?!

We got a Jack Russell pup in June, we managed to successfully house train her in 2 weeks.

We already had an adult cat and unfortunately after a couple of weeks she never came home. I don''t know what happened to her.

But, we got a sausage dog in July. She had a bad case of worms and took her to the vet and she is alot better. We are feeding them both Science Plan dog food.

The problem I have is that after having this sausage dog for 4 months she is still not house trained. I''ve tried everything and nothing works. My house constantly smells and everytime I was a carpet she goes right back and wee''s and poo''s on my clean carpet. I don''t know what to do anymore! Please help!

I''ve tried the vinigar solution, I''ve tried putting her in one small spot but she still messes. I have seen her going out on her own and doing her business outside and I understand that there will be accidents but this is really becoming ridiculous now. It''s like she does it on purpose. What else can I do?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Sherry, from what you say above it sounds as if the pup was purchased from a pet shop or commercial breeder. Unfortunately often what happens in situations like this (if I am correct), is that the pup is confined to either a crate with its litter mates, or very small area and does not have sufficient space to use for a toilet. Dogs are naturally very clean animals and do not eliminate where they sleep or eat, unless no other option. Once this has become the 'norm', due to circumstances, it takes longer and more work to change the habit, but it can be done and I have worked with clients with pups as you describe and we have successfully changed the behaviour, but it does take longer.

What I would suggest you do is several things:-

1. Crate train the pup so that it can sleep in a crate at night. There is an article on crate training on my www.friendsofthedog.co.za website.
2. Start toilet training right from the beginning. I have put a link to a toilet training article on the Health 24 site for you to follow and really go overboard with praise and a treat when the dog does perform outside. Dogs do what works and if it is rewarded each and every time it performs outside by both praise and a treat, will be more likely to do this.
3. Use management in that the dog is never left alone in the house until the new toilet training has been achieved.
4. In addition to cleaning all areas with the 1/3 vinegar to 2/3 water that you are already doing, when throughly cleaned, spray on some Citronella oil. this is the Citronella oil you get from a health shop or chemist and must be full strength.
5. If 'mistakes' do happen remember this has become a habit and it takes time to change and supervision - dont punish or shout at the dog. If you catch dog squatting, quickly pick it up (causes the spincter muscles to contract) and rush it outside and reward when finished. Dogs will perform a behaviour for attention, whether it be negative or positive.

Hopes this helps and have put the article link below. If you are still having problems please call in a professional to assist further, thanks Scotty
http://www.health24.com/medical/Focus_centres/777-2268-2552-2678,61400.asp

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/10/05

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert