Posted by: anon | 2011-07-06

Please Help!!

Hi Doc,

I hope i am Knoking on the right door.

I am 22 Years old and i am overweight, i have been overweight for about 5 yrs now, But for the past 5 months or so my tummy looks like i am about 6 months pregnant, but i am not!

I dont eat alot of sweets but i also know i dont eat very healthy as i am not a health freak, but i dont eat that much either, most of the time my daily food will consist of weet-bix for breakfast, weet-bix for lunch and then whatever i cook at night for dinner, but i do try and keep my dinner portions reletavly small, just enough to feel satisfied. I drink alot of coffee at work, between the time of 7 am and 5 pm i will drink about 6 cups of coffee, my coffee is black with 2 sugars, i do count calories just in order to see how much i take in and it is usually between 1200 - 1600 calories per day, and i do earobic dancing 3 times per week,

I am getting a bit concerned as i look preg but i am not, and for the last 2 months my period started before the time it should have and lasted for about 3 days and then it starts again on the time it should wich is usually about a week apart, so basically i get 2 periods a month, i was on triphasil and now my GP switched me to femodene for 3 months then i should go back to triphasil, I also take Deparoc 20 mg daily (antidepresant)

Please help
Thank You in advance

I suggest that you consult your doctor for blood tests to exclude an endocrine abnormality causing your weight gain. I also suggest that you consult a dietrician for a sensible, balanced diet. I really do not think that Weet-bix twice daily, will be sensible to eat, in order to loose weight.

Increase your cardio-vascular exercise to five times per week, for at least 45 minutes a day. Refrain from taking any apetite suppressants.

Deparoc does not cause weight gain but some oral contraceptives may cause weight gain.