Question
Posted by: MOMO | 2011/03/23

PLEASE HELP

My husband has a kid his 9years know the mother past on when he was two year so he was supporting the kid from day one we got married when the boy was 5yrs we naver stop supporting every weeked we fetch him, he is with the granny (MOTHERS SIDE) week ago my hubby was call by social workers they wanted why is he not supporting the kind and the is getting social grant (orphan) which means that the granny went to social workers told them them that the father is no were to be found what can we do pls advise thank u

Expert ImageFamily law expert

You will have to go to the Childrens Court in the area where the child resides and inform them of the situation. Your husband may also wish to apply to become the child's primary caregiver, whereby your place of stay would be the child's primary residence. Having said that, it must be in the interest of the child.

Bertus Preller
B.Proc; AD Dip L Law
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
A:1st Floor, 56 Shortmarket Street, Cape Town
O: +27 (0) 21 422 1323
F: 086 572 8373
E: bertus@divorceattorney.co.za; W: www.divorceattorney.co.za; Twitter: www.twitter.com/edivorce; Facebook: www.facebook.com/divorceattorneys

3
Posted by: FIO | 2011/03/23

Depends on what you mean by supporting the child. Do you mean financially, or otherwise? Whether the granny is receiving social grant for the child or not is irrelevent, since it is stilthe fathers responsibility to support the child financially. It is not Governemnts responsibility, but fathers. And we all know that the social grants government gives out is pathetic, hardly enough to adequately support a child.

So granny may well have a case against the father for non support of a financial nature.

Reply to FIO

I would report the case to the police as she is defeating the ends of justice. Make sure they investigate and law a charge of theft. I would show the social worker the bank statements and request custody of the child imminently. She can not defraud the government of funds that are not rightly hers

Posted by: family law expert | 2011/03/23

Bertus Preller
B.Proc; AD Dip L Law
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
O: +27 (0) 21 422 1323
F: 086 572 8373

Reply to family law expert