Question

Please Help

My current partner has a daugther of 16 years old, from his previous relationship. The mother continously makes threats of taking him to court for maintenance, that she says should be R1000 per month. I know for a fact that what he contributes is much more than that. (E.g school fees R1000-00, transport R500, clothes R1200-00 and still an allowance for the child of R500-00 per month= R3,200-00. Now she still wants him to contribute toward her medical aid of which the company pays 50%, but the details that she has given for this is her GOLD credit card... When she sms''s she will always bring in that our 5 year old gets much more out of everything which is really not true.. Please can someone advise on what he can do about this. Because she just does not stop.

Expert ImageFamily law expert

I suggest that he advise her that if she does not stop with the threats that he will approach the maintenance court to make the current payments that he is making an order of the maintenance court. It seems to me that the ex is abusing the child's right to maintenance for personal gain. As musch as the father should contribute, so do must the mother contribute to the child's maintenance.

Bertus Preller
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
www.divorceattorney.co.za
info@divorceattorney.co.za

2
Posted by: family law expert | 2010/09/19

Bertus Preller
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
www.divorceattorney.co.za
info@divorceattorney.co.za

Reply to family law expert
Posted by: Sandra | 2010/09/13

Oh my this is an old trick with the ex they will always find something to complain about if there is another child involved Re: your 5 year old ! The best your husband can do is go to the maintenance court and lay his cards on the table, he must take all receipts etc, don''t leave a stone unturned. My son has the same problem with his ex, she is constantly trying her luck and not only with him believe me with myself she has tried so many times to con me, I told her to catch a hike I wasn''t married to her. Tell your husband to stand his ground..my deepest sympathy !

Reply to Sandra