Question
Posted by: BMJ | 2010-07-24

Please help

Dear Doc

I woke up on Fri morning at about 4am with severe stabbing pain in my abdoman - just under my ribs on the left upper side. The cramping went on through the day increasing in frequency - to the point where I would double over in pain but when the cramp passed I felt ok inbetween these spasms. I first took 2 buscopans and then 2 panado''s - but nothing relieved the intensity of the pain. Apart from the cramps - my back - over my kidneys on the same side of the pain is sore. I am also nauseous.

I do not have a fever, or any urine or constipation problems. Most of the cramping is now over but I still have bad backache and nausea. What could this be?

Do you always have a urine infection if you have kidney pain - I have had 3 bladder infections in the past year and frequent kidney pain inbetween (but urine is clear, no stining etc)?

BMJ

It is possible that you have pielonephritis or you could have passed a small urinary/kidney stone. Consult your doctor for tests.