Question
Posted by: Pretoria | 2010/03/16

Please Help

Good Morning Cyberdoc,
In our family we have a sixteen year old who the Doctors say suffers from depression. Now this is a child who had a lot of self confidence, who had that kind of attitude she didn’ t care what people thought of her. She had a very strong personality, she still does... but now she has started to threaten she wants to commit suicide, she doesn’ t want to live any more, she has nothing, no one as school likes her, she just comes up with all this negative stuff. Last night things went off the radar again, I’ m not sure how it all started, but apparently she got into the car and wanted to drive off, her sister stopped her and grabbed the key out of the ignition  she went ballistic attacking her sister they got into an argument. I phoned to asked if they were on their way, we invited them for dinner the previous day, and the sister said she thinks they should give it a skip, her little sis is not feeling up to it... so I told her I was on my way, when I got there the little sis was sitting outside, and she was in a state, her hand were shaking, but not trembling shaking, it was more worse than that. She was taken to the Doctor because her hands could not stop shaking, and apparently the Doctor is very worried about her Now last night I was told every time she gets upset she takes her medication but more then what was prescribed. I just spoke to her sister, and I asked her how is she when they go out over the weekends, and she said no she’ s fine then, happy and like her old self. I don’ t know what to make of all of this, do you think it is possible for you to shed some light.

I don't understand - you talk of "her medication" - does this mean antidepressants ? And if so, who prescribed them ? This sounds like a situation way beyond the ability of most GPs to handle, especially as adolescents can be such a difficult mix of emotional and behaviour problems, of real illness and manipulativeness. She should be see by a good local child or adult psychiatrist for a full specialist assessment and a discussion of specialised treatment options.
It may well be that she needs some expert counselling rather than medication.

1