Question
Posted by: liezel | 2010/02/18

please help

i graduated at the end of 2008 with a bcom in marketing.iv been applying for work ever since and still have not landed a job.at first i thought i was just too ambitious and that i should lower my standards with regards to the jobs i was applying for.i have asked someone to help me by looking at my cv to see if maybe i was selling myself enough but all seemed ok except with potential employers.im registered with quite a number of online recruiters and still no luck.iv either been turned down or had no response.this has really taken its toll on me and im starting to feel like im actually depressed.i cry myself to sleep and wish i could just disappear as i feel i serve no purpose and feel like an absolute failure.i really knew that in todays world it is imperative that one should try and have an entrepreneur spirit as jobs are so scarce and although im keen on the idea,i just am so lost that i cant even think of what business i could start.im 26 and one of my worries is that time is running out to achieve my career dreams.all of my friends are doing well and about to get married or travelling and im still where i was before graduation and i really do not feel like seeing them.mostly because they always want to eat out etc which i cant afford.i try to be positive but being at home all day everyday is driving me insane.

YOu do, and will, serve many very useful purposes. Unfortunately, through absolutely no fault of your own, you graduated at the time of major world economic crisis, and with fewer jobs than have been available for a long time. Your friends have been lucky. Your friends are tactless if they don't recognize your situation and suggest less expensive ways of spending time together.
I hope other readers can make positive suggestions too. Is it practical for you to take on volunteer work, such as with a charity which could use your skills and knowledge - and give you more experience to add to your CV while you continue to look for the job that will suit you best ?

3
Posted by: liezel | 2010/02/19

thanx to both of you.im willing to do volunteer work.keeping busy and contributing to the world somehow is far more important to me than a paycheque though i need it too.qwerty i will definitely use your tips.thanx again

Reply to liezel
Posted by: qwerty | 2010/02/19

This is a very rough time to go through! I was unemployed for 8 months after graduating before finally finding a job. I know exactly what you' re going through - the frustration, the cabin-fever from being cooped up all day, the disappoinment in life in general, and feeling like a failure for not being able to land a job. The reality is, getting your first job is INCREDIBLY difficult, because everybody wants someone with experience. And you' ll never get any experience if nobody hires you! It' s very frustrating.

The only reason I got my first job is because my employers thought I was " enthusiastic" . That counts for a lot!! Just remind yourself of everything that you bring to the table, and focus on what an asset you would be to a company. Tell them you are willing to learn, and willing to work hard! Those things count more than you know.

I wish you all the best, and keep us updated!

Reply to qwerty