Question
Posted by: MOMO | 2010/02/18

please help

hi

my baby' s father refuse to support our little girl because we had some agreement on who must take care of her when i' m at work now he says if i take her to my aunt he wont pay but before he never had a problem now that we broke up he has a problem paying now he says we must go half half i' m battling myself finacially i mean i do buy my baby chlothes i' m the one who is taking care of her every night when she is seek i' m always there fo my little one what half half is he talking about cause i' m doing my half already

Expert ImageFamily law expert

Hi Mariam,

I suggest that you approach the maintenance court and obtain a court order so that he pays the maintenance. A maintenance officer will investigate the issue and detremine waht each party need to contribute towards the child's maintenance. Calculating the maintenance payable for purposes of divorce is relatively simple. Start at the actual costs of raising a child then split that between both parents according to what they both earn.

For example:

Child costs - R2000 a month

Father earns R6000 a month

Mother earns R4000 a month

The father then pays 60% and mother 40% towards the monthly expenses.

The father pays R1200 a month and the mother R800 a month in that scenario.

bertus@divorceattorney.co.za
www.divorceattorney.co.za

1
Posted by: Family law expert | 2010/02/19

Hi Mariam,

For example:

Child costs - R2000 a month

Father earns R6000 a month

Mother earns R4000 a month

bertus@divorceattorney.co.za
www.divorceattorney.co.za

Reply to Family law expert