Question
Posted by: Aya | 2009/12/17

please help

Ive been involved in a relationship with a guy for almost 4 years now,and we have always had problems because i dont trust him,he trusts me completely but i just cant get myself to trust him,i know this is unhealthy for our relationship as the cracks are starting to show,he is very faithful to me and has never given me reason to doubt him,its like im always waiting for him to do something wrong but he never does,this is taking a toll on our relationship,i never used to realise i have this problem but now i do,i love him and i do want to spend the rest of my life with him,to give you a bit of a background my parents got divorcrd when i was young and they used to always involve me in their fights,so maybe that played a role in what i am today,im realy worrried,how do i begin to help myself,ive realised that the problem is with me,where do i start,i dont have the money to go see a shrink,i just dont know what to do anymore,and how can my boyfriend help me in this process,and another thing ,i dont have friends not because people dont want to be friends with me but because i push them away ,what could my problem be please help,im in the joburg area.

If, as it seems, yo have no really good reason for mistrusting him, you need to see a personal counsellor to better understand the roots of this difficulty in trusting. Check with lifeline and SADAG ( numbers on this page ) and maybe the dept of clinical psychologisy at Wits, to find sources of free or cheap counselling.

1