Posted by: Anon | 2009-08-05

Please help

I wonder if you can possibly help me.

Some background information:

1. Allergic to hair dye
2. Started Cilift in March 2009 and stopped in June 2009
3. Dyed my hair in June and as always got a bit of a rash that I treated with celestamine and it never really went away.

A week ago I had the following symptoms that was recurring for a few months prior:

1. Extreme dizziness even without sudden movements such as getting up too fast
2. Sore ears
3. Generally not feeling well.

The dizziness bothered me and I went to an ENT last week who had my ears tested and found some hearing loss in my right ear. I have now been scheduled for a MRI for next week.

Yesterday, the itch from the rash in my neck started to really bother me and I got some cortisone ointment. Since then, the dizziness has been better.

Now, my questions:
1. Were all the symptoms related to the allergic reaction?
2. Should I still go for the MRI for the hearing loss?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Anon

Regarding the MRI: If your ENT requested a MRI scan it indicates that you have a nerve hearing loss in the one ear. This must be further investigated and if it is the case, I would suggest you have the MRI.

It is unlikely that your dizziness is related to the hair dye allergy, more likely related to your ear problem which seems to be under investigation.