Posted by: HENNIE SWART | 2009-07-05

Please help

Hi Im Hennie Swart and I work in Sudan North Africa and I need to lose wait.In Sudan there is not mutch to eat its not easy to follow a diet so pls can u help me and tell me what to eat .In Sudan we get sheep meat goat meat beef and chickens but the meat is as tuff as it gets with no fat on it ,then we get onions tomatoes potatoes and tined veggies and thats about it so pls if u can help it would be a life saver

Hennie Swart

Dear Hennie
I can understand that you must struggle to lose weight so far from home. The basic way to lose weight is a) reduce your energy intake by cutting out fat and eating less, b) increase your energy output by doing at least 30 min of exercise every day. Now although you don't have many of the standard western foods available, the ones you list (lean meat, even if it is tough! onions, tomatoes, potatoes and tinned vegies) can actually be used to put together a slimming diet. Investigate what the local people eat (e.g. some form of bread, beans, and some form of milk, probably fermented milk which is a bit like yoghurt) and see if you can't include some of these foods in your diet to ensure that your food intake is more balanced. Generally speaking the diets of indigenous people is low in fat and high in dietary fibre and most of them are thin. Have a look at the energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet on this Website (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), to get an idea of what a slimming diet should consist of and then substitute the available foods for those listed in the diet (for example, have tinned vegies instead of the fresh vegies in the diet). It may help to go to the local market to buy fruit and vegies and some of the other foods you require. Just wash the fruit and vegies in a solution of water to which you can add 1 tablespoon of salt to disinfect these foods. Cook all the rest to make sure that you don’t get a tummy bug. The fact that the available meat is low in fat is a bonus, just eat smaller portions. To increase your energy output try any one of the following exercises (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, brisk walking). Select an exercise that you can do under your circumstances. For example skipping can be done anywhere and at any time (e.g. at night or in the early morning if it is very hot).
Holding thumbs that you can start losing weight.