Posted by: Jared | 2009-05-20

Please help

i have got a burping and farting problem. But mostly burping every now and then and it sometimes smells. Could it be something to do with my diet or what. It really irritates me and people think i do it deliberately but if I don' t burp its hurt and I cant breath properly. Thanks

Dear Jared
There are many reasons why gas builds up in the body (e.g. irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), enzyme deficiencies, ulcers, gallbladder problems, food allergies, eating foods with a high sulphur content like raw onions or foods that have a high dietary fibre content, etc). If you suspect that you may be suffering from a physical condition (in other words that you don't eat foods that are very rich or have a pronounced smell like raw onions or garlic), then I would recommend that you have a medical checkup so that we can find out what is causing this problem (e.g. IBS, gallbladder problems, ulcers, etc). Once we have a diagnosis we can see how to change your diet to reduce your gas production. In the meanwhile ask your pharmacist for product such as activated charcoal that can absorb some of the gas.