Please help

Good Day Doc.
Can you please tell me if having a male dog of 3 years neutered, if it will make him less aggresive, and if so, to what extend. I don' t want a dog that is going to lick an intruder to death, but he needs to be a bit calmer around friends and other dogs??

Dear Anon

It may help a little bit but the problem at that age is that the aggression is a learnt behaviour. You should have done this at 8 months of age.

Posted by: Carol | 2009-05-06

U could also have him checked over by a vet, could be pain somewhere .

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Chill | 2009-05-05

It should help a bit, and behavioural training should also help a bit.

I don' t know where you get the idea that a neutered dog is a wuss. He' s not going to lick any burglar to death unless the burglar is covered in liver pate.

Reply to Chill

Well, we did not do it at 8 months, because he' s an Airedale terrier, and they are moslty not an aggressive breed. He was never agressive, but in the last few months he started behaving aggresively. Growling at children visiting, even growling at me sometimes. We never abused him or anything, I love him to bits, and so it' s just weird to me, and I don' t want him biting people' s children, or even my other dogs.??? So do you think it will help a bit?