Posted by: T | 2008-12-08

Please help

For about 3 weeks, my ring finger and little fringer have been numb. It started with a mosi bite on little finger when it started tingling and progressed into both fingers, and down my hand into my wrist and sometimes to elbow. One Dr gave me anti-inflamatories, which havent helped and the other one told me to take water tablets as it might be water retention putting pressure onto my carpal tunnel nerve (or something like that). I have taken the water tablets for 2 days now (one in the mornings) and this hasnt helped at all. I am getting married in 12 days and do not want to sit with a numb, tingly hand on my wedding day. PLEASE HELP. What else can this be? Is there anything else i can do?

Hallo T
This sounds like carpal tunnel syndrome to me - the nerve runs in a small tunnel at the wrist - any swelling in the area causes pressure on the nerve with numbness and pins and needles feeling in the one half of the hand - if you put your hands together - like when you pray, and then turn them to the inside so that the tops of you hands touch and the fingers point towards you, and the symptoms suddenly start, this is a sure sign of nerve compression. This can be treated by anti-inflammatories, physiotherapy, cortisone, Vit B 6 supplements, water tablets. If this does not help, you may need surgical decompression of the nerve - an orthopedic surgeon will be the right person to see for this. I really hope you don't need this with your wedding around the corner! Ask your doctor about the cortisone option and try and get to a physiotherapist