Question
Posted by: SOso | 2008/10/21

Please help

Hi. I' m 33 weeks pregnant. For the last 8 months I have noticed that when I wake up in the morning my arms, stomach and now legs are full of scratches. I can only think that I scratch myself during my sleep because I don' t remember doing it. Even during the day my body is not itching. The scratches are very visible as they leave black lines on my skin and I' m very light in complexion. I' m even scared to walk aruoundwithouth covering my whole arms. Is this normal i.e. maybe linked to pregnancy? What can I use to stop this practise ? Or can you recommend me to any specialist who can help me.

Dear Soso
Pregnancy can be associated with itching, due to changes in the hormones and liver function. If the white of your eyes look slightly yellow, you may need to see a doctor to check your liverfunction with a blood test as sometimes you can develop jaundice in pregnancy. Try moisturising your skin with E45. If you have a rash, please see a doctor as you may need cortisone cream.