Posted by: Deumara | 2009-01-22

Please explain CBT

Hey CS,

Could you please explain CB therapy to me? What is it? How is it done? Why would it help a person? Is it done by a psychiatrist?

I live in a very rural area at the moment, and it will be very very difficult for me to be able to go to a psychiatrist, if i read a very good book about it, and try to practice what i' ve read in the book, will it help me, or do i HAVE to go to a psychiatrist?

Check the archives of this forum, as I've explaned this many times before. It is done by someone trained in the method, a psychiatrist or probably more often a psychologist or professional counsellor, and if you google "Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy" you'll find loads of detailed descriptions. Among the things I like about it is that it is logical and common sense, effective and efficient, and there's loads of good quality research proving that it is indeed effective. It looks at the unhelpful habits of thought and behaviour you have developed for whatever reason, and works on identifying these, testing alternative and more fruitful ways of responding to the situations that trouble you, and changing those habits for the better.
There some recent research showing that SOME books, and some specially made DVD's ( not yet available here ) can be almost as efefctive as seeing a CBT therapist, and, depending on your problem, there are loads of CBT style self-help books on the market ---
for books, etc., I generally recommend that you search on, as they provide useful customer reviews to enable you to assess the quality of books ( DVDs, CDs, etc ) --- and then compare prices on local internet suppliers --- books I find unpredictable, so having identified several you are interested in, compare prices at,, and ; for DVDs, usually nothing beats take2.