Posted by: lisa | 2009-01-26

please explain

hi doctor

a friend of mine just had his tonsils removed today. i also sometimes get tonsilitis and i am 22yrs old (female). he told me that tonsilitis can cause heart disease?? can you please explain this to me?

Hallo Lisa
any bacterial infection that spreads to the blood can cause infection of the heart valves and cause endocarditis with heart valve damage. One of the culprits is the Streptococcus bacterium that causes sore throats, tonsillitis and pneumonia. This leads to rheumatic fever with heart damage, luckily not a common disease. If you get tonsillitis more than 3 times a year, you should consider an operation, otherwise it can just be treated with antibiotics
dr Bets