Question
Posted by: MIKALE | 2008/10/14

Please explain

Regarding 769, you stated that to lose fat and increase muscle (me being an endomorph) you suggested that I should decrease my protein and increase my carbs. What is the reason for this and how much would you recommend? I really would love to learn as when I think I' ve found what works, something comes up and contradicts what I' ve learnt. Thank you very much....

Dear Mikale
All athletes who a) want to increase lean muscle mass and b) decrease body fat% need to do 2 things: 1) exercise so that you build muscles and for this you only require approx. 2g of protein per kg of body weight, not more 2) increase their carbohydrate intake to fuel this exercise and to produce a "protein saving". Building muscles via exercise does take time and many people want instant results. I did suggest that you should contact Potchefstroom Varsity where they have an excellent Sport Nutrition Centre and will be able to recommend you to a centre where you can actually have a diet worked out for you that is based on your weight, body fat%, level of exercise intensity, age, etc. I also recommended that you should read the articles on sports nutrition on this website which explains the various aspects of dietary intake and sports performance (including muscle building).