Question
Posted by: ct | 2010-12-07

please clarify

true or false: the following statement was made by a friend regarding a ketogenic diet - please comment, i dont agree. i dont feel it''s good that ketones should be used as fuel. we need CHO.

People are hungry when they eat low calories because their body cannot release the fat from fat cells for energy. They are literally starving and so are hungry. If you have plenty of fat stores, your body can run off them just fine. The studies show people told to eat as much as they want on low carb diet eat about 1500 calories even though they are allowed to eat as much as they like as long as it''s under a certain amount of carbs. What do Sumo wrestlers eat? They eat a high carb low fat diet because it''s been known for over a hundred years that carbohydrates are uniquely fattening. People report higher well being on low carb diet, not depression. Initially it''s difficult because your body is adapting to the ketones for energy. The bad breath is not bad, it''s kind of fruity, it depends on your nose. If you like sweetness, then go buy some stevia and put it on some macadamia nuts with half a cup of blueberries. That''s what I do and it''s delicious. I''m losing more weight now with no hunger than ever before... also, if you want to do a short fast (24-72 hours), if you are already in ketosis, you don''t need the adaption days and you won''t be anywhere near as hungry. You''ve heard that the first 3 days on a fast are the hardest then hunger goes away, right? That''s why. Once your in ketosis your body has energy.

aai

Dear CT
I agree with your friend. Please keep in mind that the reason why I and my dietetic colleagues have a problem with high-protein diets is that such diets automatically will expose you to high levels of fat, saturated fat and cholesterol because all animal protein foods such as meat, eggs and poultry contain animal fats which in turn contain these 'bad' fats which in turn can exacerbate high blood cholesterol and lipid levels predisposing to heart disease and certain cancers. A high protein intake may also have a negative effect on kidney function and leach calcium out of the body. There is also not yet sufficient evidence that shows that these high-protein diets sustain weight loss in the long-term, which is after all the purpose of trying to lose weight. Then there is also the problem of a lack of protective nutrients (bioflavonoids, phytochemicals, etc which are mainly found in plant foods) and dietary fibre, so that using a high-protein diet for long periods can cause certain deficiencies and constipation. So, if it works for you and you don't use it for longer than about 2 weeks at a time, then that is fine. but please be aware of the potential dangers of such diets. You should still be getting at least 1-2 portions of carbohydrates with a low glycaemic index (GI) at each meal to supply you with fibre and readily available energy.
If you want an example of individuals who are thin and fit and obtain up to 70% of their energy from carbs, then consider the cyclists who participate in the Tour de France. Luckily most individuals who use these potentially harmful ketogenic diets stop using them after awhile because the human body is designed to function on a balanced diet which contains all the macronutrients, namely carbohydrates, protein and some fats. Pronounced ketosis is actually a medical emergency in patients with diabetes and can result in coma and death, so please be careful.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-12-07

Dear CT