Question
Posted by: V | 2010-02-22

Please can someone advise me...how late is too late to fall pregnant?

I am 29, turning 30 in April. My husband are not yet ready to have kids, but would like to have them within the next 3 to 4 years.Lately my friends keep telling me that if I don''t have kids by the age of 32 or 33 I run the risk of complications afterward - infertility, etc. How much of this is true?

After 35 the risk of medical illnesses increases and also the risk of Down syndrome.

3
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-02-24

Posted by: Nikki | 2010-02-22

Hi V, I was also worried. I turn 35 in a month and am now 3 months pregnant with my first baby. A lot of women these days prefer to have babies at a later stage. I am sure your husband will be ready in a year or 2.

Reply to Nikki
Posted by: Anon | 2010-02-22

Woman are born with an avarage of between one million and two million egg sells, by the time you turn twenty the avarage woman will only have about two hundred thousand egg sells left which will be reduced by half by the time you reach thirty, its true that the older you are the more difficult it will be to have children. The Austrailians have developed a hormone test where they are able to give you an accurate estamate of how much egg sels you have left and if there will be and more or less what the complications there will be if you reach a certain age. The test will be available in clinics in Austrailia by next month so I''ll give it about eight months to reach South Africa if you are willning to wait then you can go and test.

Hope things work out.