Posted by: JessicaB | 2009-04-20

I have found myself working at a company which I love, I love my job and the benefits etc.
Our company has two separate branches, one situated in Pretoria and one in Primrose. There is one Director for each branch. The Director working at the Pretoria branch is technically my employer but we offer a lot of assistance for the other Director and the two Directors are friends.
The Director at the Primrose branch clearly does not like me and tries to create problems for me where she can, also making it my mistake. If something happens I am to blame. On various occasions this has happened and then I try to defend myself with proof (written and circumstantial) that the mistakes were not my fault as I really take my job very seriously and do not want anyone to think that I messed up if I did not.
Upon wanting to give proof that this was not my fault I am told that I have an attitude and that I must stop trying to be better than the rest. I have also tried talking to my employer (Pta Director) about this but seeing as though they are friends and in business together, it really does not help. I do not get any written warnings nor do I really “ technically”  get into trouble so for the past two months I have tried to not think about it that much and I only kept the emails and stuff as proof, but I have not said anything or did anything.
I was hoping that I can keep doing this, not taking it to heart but I really cannot, it really breaks you down to a level where you feel worthless and no good, where it seems as though you cannot do anything right and just want to resign. I would immediately give in my resignation letter if I did not love my job so much and like previously mentioned working under the Pta Director has never presented to be a problem not has she has any troubles with my “ work”  in the past or at present.
I really do not know what to do as I want this constant discrimination and blaming to stop but I don’ t want to look for other employment as I am happy with my current job and the job is not the problem. I cannot talk to my Director because it doesn’ t help, it just creates more problems.
If anyone can assist me with any advice I would be very greatfull.

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

To continue to live this problem is not the solution. You have to deal with it or resign. Rather confront the manager, speak to the other director, involve HR,put all your points on paper and your collected evidence,and deal with it. It will be resolved - if not you will have to make brave career choices.

I' m also going a little bonkers in my much loved job - if it wasnt for the people around me (boss included) I would be as happy as a piggy in ... I have ran with the new position I am in and have made it my own, taken on extra responsiblity and accepting more - but with no increase to speak of. The problem is my boss thinks we are a team and well everyone sees everyone elses salaries so we ' must be careful' . I mean come on - the one girl works half day and earns the same as me, the other sits and does cross words all day and get a full 13th cheque while we get nothing to speak of. I am not a team player (could be if necessary, but its not in this case - we all have separate completely different positions), my job is my own and I am doing it very well - I am here for me and to put food on my families table, not anyone elses - I hate this work TEAM - you cannot cultivate a happy team when things are so off level!. Also going crazy.