Question
Posted by: Kim | 2009-09-22

Please advise

Hi! I’ m thinking about studying a BA of education- early childhood development (foundation phase)
The thing is I only came upon it today and have never ever given it a thought.
Before I was researching BSC, criminology, health sciences etc
I have to say that I have been doubting myself as to the science and math part as I have given BSC a shot (just freshly out of school) and it never went too well. I then thought that perhaps now, more mature etc I would be able to handle it.

So today I came upon this and thought it might just be something that I would love to do.
Why? Well I do love children, they tend to like me, I’ m sure I would enjoy teaching. Not forgetting the holidays applicable to teachers.
By then I would like to start my own family and how great would that be to be able to be home with your kids while they on school holiday and get to spend all that time with them.

I love doing activities with kids, being able to help them grow and develop.
I don’ t know I’ m kind of feeling excited about this.
The thing I am worried about though is the salary, does anyone have any idea as to what an ‘ Early childhood teacher/ Grade1-3 teacher earns ?I wouldn’ t like to have studied 4 yrs to end up earning 6k a month.
I forgot to mention that I am 27yrs old (a bit old I know to be starting now)
I am currenltly employed and totally hate my job, my low salary is also another reason for me wanting to study further.
What do others think?

There's a issue of emotional maturity in being able to handle any particular course, and that generally improves with age ; but there's the fact that some courses just demand science and especially math skills, and if one hant handle those demands, one is unlikely to succeed at the course. In that case one may need to take some basic courses in science and math to prepare oneself.
Aren't there people ( there should be ) associated with wherever it is you're thinking of studying, available for counselling specifically, on such course and career options ?
I hope other readers may have relevant experience to share