Question
Posted by: Anon-Overweight | 2008/10/06

Please Advise

Hi Doc...am pregnant, i need to loose or maintain if i cant loose the weight, am a 25 years old female and about 6,45 m tall and i weigh 104kg...am very worried i might not be healthy enough for my pregnancy...this is my second baby i gained a lot of weight with my first one..it was at 68 kg and i went to 100kg after a year of having my little one...please help i cant afford to be more than this...is there anything that i can do???

Dear Anon-Overweight
Firstly you need to see a gynaecologist to help you through this pregnancy to ensure that you and the baby are well and healthy. Secondly I urge you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out a diet for you that prevents excessive weight gain, but also provides you and baby with all the nutrients you need to stay healthy. This is very important because you need to keep your weight in check, but the baby must still obtain enough nourishment from your diet. So for both your sakes, do see a dietitian immediately. Once you have had the baby, the dietitian will advise you on how to lose weight so that you don't gain more after this pregnancy.
Wishing you well in your pregnancy.