Question
Posted by: waheeda | 2008/06/17

please advise

Is Oedema fatal / curable? I am 33 yr old mother. My dad was diabetic and died of sudden heart attack. My mom is High blood pressure patient who has suffered 3 strokes before.what are the chances that I have EITHER OR BOTH of their sicknesses?
I will see my GP shortly, but is this serious?

Dear Waheeda
Oedema is just a symptom of various diseases like heart diseases, kidney diseases, proteien shortage etc. You do have a risk of developing hereditary diabetes or high blood pressure. Luckily this is preventable by yearly screening and quick treatment if you develop any of these diseases. Both these diseases can be managed very well with medication , keeping your weight down and exercise.