Question
Posted by: Edie | 2012-01-26

Play therapy

Dear Prof

A week or so ago, I spoke to you about my kiddie (almost 3) and play therapy. Now, I''m looking for a therapist and there are loads!!! How do I go about choosing one? I don''t want to ask for referrals from friends or family, but I also don''t want to just pick up the phone and call the first name on the list. I want to go to someone who takes this seriously and not just someone who is using it as a steppingstone. I know I''m just making assumptions, but I don''t want to waste time/energy/money or have my son be negatively affected by this.

Thank you!!

Play therapy is to me a dodgy area, because I'm not aware of there being a formal and strict system for qualifying and registering "play therapists", and I suspect almost anyone may be able to declare themselves such a therapist and open shop. As Purple says, your child's school, or paediatrician or even GP may know of a good person nearby.
Similarly, my first concern would be to have the child see a good child psychologist for a proper assessment, and then to discuss treatment options. If play therapy was considered best, the child shrink would be able to provide it or to reccomennd someone really good to do so.
Its never wise to pick a therapy before one is sure of a good, sound, reliable diagnosis. If you're not careful, you could be like someone coming to a surgeon and asking for your appendix to be removed, when the real problem is in your lung.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2012-01-26

I didn''t see your other post so might mention things that won''t work in your situation, but if your child attends a pre-primary, they may know of good child and educational psychologists in the area, you could also ask your peadiatrician to refer you to someone and you could also ask your GP.

Reply to Purple