Posted by: Zeus | 2009-06-05

Plato reached

I' ve been losing 1 to 2 kg per week for the last 2 months - Dieting and gyming  light to medium aerobic and weight workout. However the last 2 weeks or so I have reached a plato on 95kg (my ideal weight is 90kg). How can I kickstart my diet and/or exercise routine towards reaching my goal weight?

Hi Zeus

The plateau is pretty common. It's difficult to overcome though. The key is to focus on getting fitter. You'll almost always find that when your weight plateaus, your fitness has too. Therefore, you need to keep working at getting fitter.

So, if you're at the gym doing aerobics, then how can you increase the intensity of the training? Can you go faster, or further, or lift more weights or heavier weights? If you can, then eventually, you get over the plateau. However, if you don't, then your fitness determines where your weight stops.

Also, just bear in mind that you need to look at diet again, because what worked two months ago, may not work now, you need to reassess constantly, and then make the required changes. So I would say see a dietician about that, make sure you're eating as well as you can, and then look at how you might increase the intensity of your training.