Question
Posted by: P.J. | 2010/12/10

plateau prevention

I''ve heard of muscle confusion in an infomercial in order to prevent plateau-ing. What types of exercises can be used for lower body strength &  explosiveness training in order to continue gains?

Hi PJ

I must confess I've never heard of muscle confusion. It sounds to me like a concept invented to sell something, I'll be honest.

The plateau is certainly real, and it happens because the "stress" of training eventually becomes manageable for the body. So the only way to avoid this is to constantly change that stress - make the training longer, more frequent, or harder per session.

For example, if a muscle has trained to lift 40kg ten times, then it will adapt. Only lifting the same weight 15 times, or lifting a heavier weight of 45 kg 10 times, will continue the stress.

There are nuances to this, of course, and that's where good coaching comes in, but the bottom line is that you need to change the load, either by increasing the weight, or increasing the reps, or the sets.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/12/15

Hi PJ

Reply to fitnessdoc