Question
Posted by: Chris | 2012-11-20

Plateau

Hi Doc!

Quick story. I got a diet via DNAlysis as well as had my various hormones, etc checked. I''m 6ft @109kg looking to get to 95 - 100kg''s. My training is intense (9 years worth) and i get about 5 - 7 training sessions done a week. I was never really concerned with being lean as i was more about strength and mass, however i am trying to get lean now and have altered my training.
So i have been sticking to my diet (discipline with eating isn''t a problem at all) and i was doing fine (diet suggested consuming 1815cal a day), but have since hit a wall and sometimes even put on a kg. Is it true that your body eventually adapts and converts into starve &  storeage mode if the calories are kept too low. To get the ball rolling i''m trying to do some calorie cycling (same diet just quantities change) in the hopes that it could help lose the weight. The diet suggested a low GI low carb high mono fat based diet.
Please could you shed some light on where i''m going wrong? it''s somewhat disheartning when so much effort and sacrifice is met with little to no results.

Best regards,
Chris

Dear Chris
I don't think that you are in starvation mode as 1815 kcal/day or 7623 kJ/day is not too minimalistic despite your intensive training programme. The human body is, however, always striving for balance, so if you reduce your energy intake and start losing weight you may find that your Basic Metabolic Rate (BMR) slows down slightly which for someone as tall and strongly built as you will make quite a difference in the amount of energy your body requires just to keep going without any exercise. So this reduces your energy requirement and you then stop losing weight. The important thing is to persevere so that your body gets time to adjust and then can start losing again at a lower energy intake level. I would not confuse my body more by calorie cycling, rather give your body a chance to adapt and be patient. You have done 9 years of what sounds like body building, now you need to give weightloss a chance too. I hope that you have adjusted to doing exercises that burn energy rather than build muscles? This should also help with weightloss. However if you find that you are still not losing after another 3 weeks, then it is important to contact DNAlysis for support seeing that you have paid for your consultation and the tests - backup support may be necessary.
Good luck with losing