Question
Posted by: CHRIS | 2011/09/01

Plateau

Good morning.

I have hit a plateau in weight loss. I have a very strict and intense training program and follow a no starch and low calorie diet (got tested with DNAlysis). So far I received good results but it has now stopped abruptly, even started putting on a few grams. Seeing as tho I cannot carb cycle (I don''t feel flat without carbs), what is the next step forward? Has my body gotten used to the low calories and has adjusted accordingly? Do i spike my calorie for a day and resume as per normal the next day? I am a 26 year old male, 6ft tall and 106,6kg''s. I''ve been doing bodybuilding and power lifting for almost 8 years but have always battled to lose fat. After some tests i have found out that I am insulin resistent, hence the no starch or sugar. Please advise.
Best regards.

Dear Chris
If you paid for the DNAlysis and are following their diet, then I would suggest that you contact them again and ask what they recommend (Google them to obtain their contact details). Please also mention that you have discovered that you are insulin resistant. The standard treatment of insulin resistance is to use a low-fat, low-glycaemic index (GI) diet which still contains low-GI carbohydrates. In addition, individuals who do body building and intense exercise generally do need some carbs to provide the fuel they require. Consequently, I am puzzled that you are using a no starch, no sugar diet when you train so hard. The DNAlysis service does supply follow-up advice, so please check with them about your plateau and how they suggest you stimulate your metabolism at this stage. As an alternative, you could consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to evaluate your present diet and provide you with an individual diet prescription that takes your insulin resistance and intense training programme into account.

2
Posted by: CHRIS | 2011/09/01

I forgot to mention, I consume approx 1700cal. If I eat what is advised for an average active male then I just get fat, anything over 2000 is far too much for me and I shoot up to over 110kg''s. I eat 6 meals a day and nothing after 7:30pm.

Thank you.

Reply to CHRIS

Dear Chris