Question
Posted by: Nicky | 2010-09-30

Plateau

What changes in diet can one make to break through a plateau? Still have 15kg to lose and scale wont budge.

Dear Nicky
When an individual who is on a weight reduction regimen reaches a weightloss plateau this is usually due to the body adjusting to the decreased food intake. I don't know what type of diet you are using, but if it is very low in energy then this could be the reason. Your body shuts down its weightloss mechanisms in the face of perceived 'starvation'. If you are using a well balanced diet that provides you with sufficient nutrients so that your body does not 'think' it is starving then you may be able to get the weightloss going by increasing your physical activity. Exercise is still the best metabolic stimulant available, so try going for brisk walks if possible for at least 30 min a day. Or join a gym or Walk for Life, or skip or cycle or swim - anything to get active.
I hope that your weightloss will resume.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-09-30

Dear Nicky