Posted by: Carrie | 2009-08-13

I think I might have reached a plateau. I have lost 17KG already through exercise and diet changes over the past 6-7 months, I get weighted and measured once a month. the past month i lost only 500g, body fat % went down a bit on my lower body, upper body stayed the same. cm loss here and there, not too much. Is this a plateau that i am at. I am use to loosing between 2 - 3.3 KG per month. What do I need to do differently?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Carrie

Well done!!!

Yes, it sounds to me like you have reached a plateau. Remember when you lose so much weight the body has a lower baseline energy need, thus you will have to drop your calories even further. I suggest that you only drop another 100-200 calories per day and see how that affects your weight loss – that is given that you still have some weight to lose. The other way is to slightly increase your exercise output to create that 100-200 calorie demand – or even do a combination of the two.

Good luck and take care!