Posted by: Carrie | 2009-08-13

I think I might have reached a plateau. I have lost 17KG already through exercise and diet changes over the past 6-7 months, I get weighted and measured once a month. the past month i lost only 500g, body fat % went down a bit on my lower body, upper body stayed the same. cm loss here and there, not too much. Is this a plateau that i am at. I am use to loosing between 2 - 3.3 KG per month. What do I need to do differently?

Hi Carrie

It depends what your current weight is - maybe this plateau is a physiological limit? I don't know...

However, what you might look at is your exercise - are you plateauing there as well? If you are, then it pays to increase the exercise intensity ever so slightly, just to push the body a little more, create a bit more 'stress' that leads to weight loss. You mustn't let your exercise routine get stagnant.

Having said all this, you might just have had a slower than normal month, and next month will see you lose 2kg again. That does happen. It might be a little early to react. I'd give it some time, but also realise that depending on your weight, you might well be levelling off