Question
Posted by: Chanel | 2008/08/04

Plastic surgery

Hi Doc please advise. I have major depression but have been on meds for three years now. I see my therapist every six months and havent had a relapse in over a year. We made a break threw why im depressed and ever since addressing the promblem things have inprove a lot. I want to now go for plastic surgery not for anyone but for myself. I did a lot of reasearch and it doesnt look good for me because i have depression. Why is there such a risk i mean i am on medication and stable at the moment

OK< I gather that you have found this manner of dealing with your Depression to be functional and acceptable. As regards plastic surgery, any sensible plastic surgeon would want a careful psych assessment before proceeding ; not specifically because of the possible presence of depression or a history of it, but because many people who seek plastic surgery actually have no physical anomaly that needs to be fixed, and are responding to feeling unhappy and dissatisfied with themselves, something which can be very effectively treated by proper counselling, and which on the other hand responds really badly to plastic surgery which may leave the person even more unhappy than before. Talk with your therapist about this