Question
Posted by: Tebogo | 2011/02/09

PLANTAR FASCIITIS

Hi, I have pain between my ankles and heels. I joined the gym about a month ago, I initially thought the pain was due to not exercising for a long and it will eventually go away. I still have the pain, it''s worse especially in the morning when I get out of bed or if i rest then stand up. Could I have plantar fasciitis (looked it up on google)?

HI Tebogo

Is the pain at the back of the heel? You said between your ankles and heels, and I'm not 100% sure if you mean at the back of the heel bone or underneath. Pain underneath that extends to the front of the foot is a sign for plantar fasciitis, whereas if the pain is at the back of the heel, then it's more where the Achilles tendon attaches and so maybe you have some Achilles tendonosis.

having said that, the pain when getting out of bed is also typical of plantar fasciitis, because the fascia is suddenly stretched when you put weight on your feet.

The only way to know for sure is obviously to have it checked by a doctor. Almost certainly, the pain is due to the sudden increase in the exercise. Your body is "rejecting" training. What you might need to do is back off, by maybe 30 to 50%, just for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Perhaps in a week, it's gone and you're OK to continue normal training. If not, then maybe time to see someone to have a proper diagnosis and then rehab exercises. You can also try to strengthen the foot by doing the simple 'game' of picking a golf ball or squash ball up between your toes for 15 minutes every day. Also, roll a glass bottle (500ml Coke or beer bottle) under your foot and loosen that fascia (the long, thick one that runs from the back to front of the foot).

Hopefully that helps, but if it doesn't go away, then definitely time to see someone!

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/02/17

HI Tebogo

Reply to fitnessdoc