Question
Posted by: ANNA-MARIE | 2008-11-07

PLANTAR FASCIITIS

I am 43 years old and was told by my docter that I have planter fasciitis in my right foot. It is extremely painful especially in the morning when I wake up. I have had a cortisone injection into my foot next to the malleolus in the inside of my foot with a little relief. This was so painful that I really do not want to have another one. What can I do because I am getting tired of walking with pain at the moment. The only shoes I can wear now are crocks because they are soft, but my boss says they look unprofessional. How long will this pain persist.

Many thanks.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Anna-Marie

Plantar fasciitis is a complicated and often frustrating condition to treat because there are so many factors that can cause it. A full examination should include an assessment of your shoes, muscles of the lower leg and foot type. You should also have an x-ray to check if there is a heel spur. Treating plantar fasciitis involves changing incorrect shoes, losing weight, muscle stretching exercises, ice therapy, anti-inflammatories and possibly a presciption insole or orthotic. You need to go and see a podiatrist as this is a condition that we treat all the time.

Chris