Question
Posted by: Lisa | 2010-01-25

Planning pregnancy

My husband and I are planning on starting a family. How do I go about it? Do I stop taking my pill once my current pack is finished and how long after I' ve stopped taking it can we start trying? When is the best time of the month to try? How long does it usually take to fall pregnant? I' ve been on the pill for 9 years.

Hallo Lisa
Yes, you can stop your pill once the current pack is finished. It is always good to go for a medical checkup to see if your blood pressure, iron levels, red cell count etc is normal, and whether you have antibodies against German measles. It is also good to do a routine screening test for STD's and other infections that may harm a fetus. It is difficult to predict how long it will take, most people will fall pregnant within a year, some even immediately. Your most fertile time is about 2 weeks after the first day of your menstruation.
See http://www.huggies.com.au/BecomingAParent/PlanningForPregnancy/PrePregnancyChecklist.asp

2
Posted by: T | 2010-01-25

First thing (even while still on the pill) is to start taking folic acid. This is important for the baby' s development. I was told to stop taking the pill when i start my periods. I had been on the pill for about 11 years and stopped it on the 25th November and i am going on 9 weeks now. We started immediately, but not everyone is lucky enough to fall pregnant so quickly. Some people may take up to a year or more. Good luck! Hope it all works out!

Reply to T
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010-01-25

Hallo Lisa

Reply to cyberdoc