Question
Posted by: Celeste | 2008/06/25

Planning pregnancy

Hi there. I am 34 years old and in my secvond marraige. I had two kids in my previous marraig, they are now 14 and 12.

My husband and I would like to have a baby and I am unsure about a few things.

1. I have been on the pill for a number of years. How long should it take for my body to adjust to being without the pill? If i am fertile and there are no other problems, how long after leaving the pill should I be able to conceive?

2. Is 34 an age where there is an increased risk in pregnancy? I was in my early 20 with the other two and they were easy pregnancies and births.

3. Is there a supplement or diet change that I should consider before I leave the pill? I know folic acid is very important for baby development. How do I ensure that I have all the nutrients and minerals I need?

1. Your system would get back to its normal cycle within a month or two of leaving the pill
2. Pregnancy at age 34 would be different to 12 years ago but your risks are not as high as if you were 37 or more for instance
3> Start on folic acid daily before the pregnancy. Normal diet should suffice