Posted by: lucky-mom | 2009-04-04

Placenta previa and vaginal birth

I had two previous pregnancies, normal vaginal delivery and no problems but with my third baby, during labour, I started bleeding at about 4cm dilation. I had never bled during my pregnancy, it was not detected before and although a doctor was summoned for what was meant to be an emergency C section, I delivered normally within 6 hours(state hospital and doctor showed up after birth) I heamorraged and bled a substantial amount and just before I was fully dilated, my placenta came out in clots on the plastic sheets I was laying on. My daughter swallowed blood and that was suctioned so she was fine and gorgeous. I didnt have any transfusion and I thank God that we survived considering. My question is, did the midwife in charge have to rupture my placenta in order for baby to come down the birth canal or is that what happens normally.

It sounds more like an abruptio placentae than a placenta praevia. This means that the placenta tears loose from the uterus. This is not caused by the midwife but happens on its own in some cases. It can recur, so see that you book early in your next pregnancy.