Posted by: Cins | 2009-01-08

Placenta Previa

I posted this question on the chatline as well, but would also like a medical opinion

I just have a few questions:
*Is it possible to get PP if it is your first baby and you don'  t have any of the other risk factors, eg, over 35, previous PP, previous abortions, etc?
* Does PP always go along with bleeding?
* If the placenta is lying low at 5 months, will it still lift tooward the end of the pregnancy?

tx Doc

Yes, you can have placenta praevia though you do not have risk factors.
80% of women will bleed with a placenta praevia.
It is possible for the placenta to move later in the pregnancy.

Posted by: Azzy | 2009-01-09

Hi Cins

I dont have a medical opinion, but i do have experiance. I have just returned to work after being put on a month long sick leave due to Placenta Previa.

I am 24 years old, very healty and never had any risk factors, this is my first pregnancy and one day at work, after I peed, there was some blood, so after a gynae visit, i was told that the placenta is sitting too low, i was 12 weeks at the time so when i moved around too much the blood and amniotic fluid was discharging. It is very dangerous as you could loose the baby and the doc says that the placenta just developes like that. the best thing for PP is bed rest and when you sleep, i had to put 2 or 3 pillows under my thighs to elevate them this is the best thing as it assists the placenta in moving upwards. The placenta does move upwards especially as the baby grows , mine has gotten better but if you do have this, please take extra care and do not walk more than needed and dont lift or do anything strenuous.

Good Luck.

Reply to Azzy