Question
Posted by: Boerboel | 2008/12/03

Placenta left inside

Dear Cybervet,
Thanks for your response to my last query. I left this message for you in that thread, but it seems you missed it.

" However, one of the pups came out with the sack already burst and the placenta remained inside. She is still discharging after three days which I consider to be good under the circumstances as it will help to clear the muck from her uterus.
What should I look out for as a sign of internal infection?" 

Your advice?

Dear Boerboel

The placenta may have come out soon after the pup and ingested without you noticing. Infection will make the bitch go off her food, the discharge smells a lot and can change to a pussy/brown colour.