Question
Posted by: Andreas Ropertz | 2010/06/30

Pituitary adenoma

I was dignosed with non-functioning pituitary macro-adenoma which was partially surgically removed. A small piece around the carorid artery remains. According to my opthalmologist and neuro-surgeon the outcome of surgery is good. What I would like to know is whether I should be under the care of an endocrinologist or not as I understand that the pituatary gland controls many hormonal functions in the body.

Hallo Andreas
If the adenoma did not make hormones ( this you will probably see from the pathology report) it will not be necessary to be seen by an endocrinologist. You are probably going to be followed up by the neurosurgeon for the next few years, with scans? I think checking your TSH (thyroid hormones), Prolactin levels and Cortisol levels yearly will be sufficient to screen for any abnormal hormonal function, and this your GP can draw for you.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/06/30

Hallo Andreas
dr Bets