Question
Posted by: abza | 2008/08/19

pitch black skin.reply urgently

i have been taking arvs for 1 year and my face is turning black.my skin colour is still the same but im worried about my face. is it normal or is there anything i can apply on my face?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Abza, thank you for the question and my apologies for the delay in my response.

ARV’s can give a number of skin related side effects and most commonly one can experience both skin rashes and hyperpigmentation (pigmentation becomes too dark). Your best approach would be to discuss the darkening you have noticed with your doctor who can consider an alternative drug regime.