Question

Pitbull acting strange

I have a severly abused pitbull puppy 7 months old. when she came to live with us, she wouldn' t walk normal, she' ll crawl and wet herself seeking attention. This behaviour has stopped in the 2 weeks she' s been with us, she' s not wetting herself anymore, but still crawles when she is called and even when she comes out of her own will. We give her lots of attention when we are at home. she mailnly lies on her blanket the whole day, doesn' t have a major appetite, and doesn' t really play either. She will bark at strangers, but once they have passsed, will go right back to her blanket. I let her in the house, and let her lie on the couch with us. She' s eating very little, although she' s not thin, she does drink water, her eyes and gums are nice and pink, I really can' t see anything that would indicate that she' s sick, although she acts like it when we are around. she' ll refrain from drinking water, and sleep on the couch all day, but the moment I take her outside she' ll go drink water, no problem.

Is this dog just seeking attention, or could there be something I should be looking for. My sister' s pitbull did the same for 3 weeks, and then just returned to normal.

She' s just really a scared pup and I' m doing everything to make her feel at ease. Is there something more I can do, or should I just be patient?

Dear Anon

I think a DAP diffuser will work well for her.

7
Posted by: Frankie | 2009-10-07

Geeze Chill it beats me why you keep on with all these negative ungrateful people on your case. I would have thrown in the towel long ago.

Mind you it is probably only one frustrated individual with an axe to grind and not enough to keep them occupied.

Hang in there, the rest of us appreciate you!

Reply to Frankie

Chill , to tell you the truth I gave her a multivitamin suited for infants, and it worked wonders! I haven' t seen this dog this full of life and energy since I got her, so if that' s a problem, then sue me.

In any case what I meant to say was she doesn' t drink water, that' s why I said she refrains from drinking water all day, and drinks very little when I put her outside. I have a lot of knowledge about dogs myself, and have treated a lot of sick dogs through the years, but this dog really baffled me, it' s the first time I couldn' t really tell wheter she was sick, or just seeking attention, or just battling to adapt.

Thanks in any case.

Chill, who died and made you Vet?

Posted by: Chill | 2009-10-06

Here' s what you said:

She'  s eating very little, although she'  s not thin, she does drink water, her eyes and gums are nice and pink, I really can'  t see anything that would indicate that she'  s sick, although she acts like it when we are around. she'  ll refrain from drinking water, and sleep on the couch all day, but the moment I take her outside she'  ll go drink water, no problem.

Now - I don' t see anything in there that indicates that there is even the slightest risk of dehydration.

Still - at least you got the message that I do mean well...

These multivitamins - are they human ones, or dog ones? Just asking... there IS a difference.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Annemarie | 2009-10-06

I think you answer your own question in the last part of your initial question : if you are certain the pup is not ill, then give yourselves some time, time, as we all know, is a great healer. Good luck.

Reply to Annemarie

Chill, you are missing the point a bit, but I realise you mean well. If a dog refuses to drink water, they dehydrate, and die, I' m trying to prevent that. When a dog refuses to eat and drink water, that usually means it' s sick. I don' t bother her, she will come seek attention out of her own will, and I will let her in the house when we are at home. I do check up on her though (since she lies in one spot all day), to make sure she' s NOT dehydrated.
As far as I can see, she actually likes the attention. I have given her a multivitamin syrup last night, ' cause she wouldn' t even stand up anymore, just slept all day, and this morning she nearly ran me out of the ground!! She looks much better, so this tells me she needs a boost badly.
Now, is there anything you can suggest which would boost her enough so we don' t go through this again? I feed her Vet' s Choice dog food, ( I dewormed her just in case ' cause her chart doesn' t show it' s been done), but I realise it will take a while before the vitamins which is obviously depleted is restored, I also add pet mince once a day to their food, and give them liver once every 2 weeks.

What can you suggest I do differently or add ?
Thanks in advance

Posted by: Chill | 2009-10-05

You' ve only had this pup for a short time, and while you' re obviously trying to do whatever you can for her, it' s possible you may be overwhelming her with attention. It' s more comforting for a frightened dog to set the pace - try leaving her to suss out her surroundings, and to approach you if and when she feels like it.

I' m not sure why the water-drinking is an issue - as long as she' s healthy, I wouldn' t worry about exactly where, when and in whose company she decides to drink.

Reply to Chill