Question
Posted by: levenpoint | 2011/10/18

Piriformis2

It would seem from my question (no.91) that you did respond, although the content is not reflected (technical glitch). In the hope that your response might be helpful to me, I would be extremely grateful if you would post it again.

Much obliged.

Hi Levenpoint.

Yes, not sure what happened there - I just see this blank reply myself.

Anyway, what I posted was:

This is a really tricky one, and I speak from experience at having a similar thing happen to me. I found (with the treatment by a physio) that the most effective thing was to strengthen the core, especially the pelvic floor. You have to really be disciplined and work hard at things like posture, and allocate a substantial to the training time to doing exercises that help to activate your TA and also help to release that whole area. The sciatic nerve is so problematic that it can take many weeks, or months, to sort out. I have a feeling that the reason it clears up when you sit on a ball is that you 'unload' the muscle/nerve and then the pressure is relieved. You need to find the natural way to achieve that, and the only way (that I am aware of) is to work on the core.

Now, I hate to pass the buck, but you probably need to see a physio who can show and guide you through some exercises that do this. We're talking bridging, planks, rotation, segmental work on the spine, things like that. So I really think that seeing a physio will help you, though that always seems a waste of time (and money)!

But that's where my money would be!

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/10/30

Hi Levenpoint.

Anyway, what I posted was:

But that's where my money would be!

Reply to fitnessdoc