Question
Posted by: AC | 2011/02/17

Pins and Needles, Muscle contraction

Earlier this week i suffered from a runny stomach and after having relieved myself I immediately became dizzy, started sweating (the sweat was literally running off my face) and my hands and feet started contracting. In addition to this i had pins and needles in my hands, feet and head. I thought i was haveing a heart attach or a stroke. A colleague of mine arranged for an ambulance to take me to hospital where the outcome was that my heartbeats were fine, blood pressure was fine and likewise cholesterol level. The doctor at the hospital alsodid a blood test which was fine and he attributed it (broadly) to possibly food poising / stomach bug however I am a bit concerned as to whether i should get a second opinion.

Can a stomach bug lead to these effects?
Could it be dehydration as a result of the stomach bug?
Could it have been a panic attack or hyperventilation?
Is there any way of pinpointing the exact cause as I am extremely anxious at this moment in case it should happen again.

I would very much appreciate your guidance.
Male 30 y/o and in general good health.

Hallo AC
It probably was a sympathetic nervous system reaction due to the diarrhoea which caused a drop in your blood pressure. It should not happen again but if it does, just lie flat on the floor on your back for a minute or so and breathe into a brown paper bag or your cupped hands for 20-30 counts. This should stop the symptoms ( if it doesn't - go to your doctor!)

2
Posted by: AC | 2011/02/18

Hello Dr Bets,

Thank you for the feedback - I will follow your advice and fingers crossed that such a traumatic event does not re-occur.

AC

Reply to AC
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/02/17

Hallo AC