Question
Posted by: Chris | 2009-11-02

Pinched nerve/ sciatica

Hi - not sure which it is ! I first had this about four years ago and it lasted about 8 - 10 weeks. Currently have had it for about two weeks. Symptoms are stiff low back, tight hamstrings and tingling/numbness - mainly down the legs but also down the arms/ hands and sporadically all over the body ! When I first had this I had xrays and all were clear - I saw a biokineticist who prescribed a strict stretching regime which I am now doing twice a day. The symptoms seem to be from sitting at my desk and I have no pain as such - more discomfort (I work about 10 hours a day all at the desk). In the morning I' m 100% and as the workday progresses it gets worse. Symptoms are greatly relieved when I get up and walk around. Besides stretching and massage is there amy other treatement which may help. I' m going on leave soon thank goodness!

Expert ImageChiroDoc

Your biokineticist has offered you the best advice. Long sedentary hours are often the cause of such symptoms. You need to look at the ergonomics of your office surround - seating, PC height etc.....
A good idea too to take a 16 to 20 walk every evening after you get home. This would be about a 2km quick walk - and it will do you the world of good.