Question
Posted by: Michele | 2010/07/29

Pinched nerve for 8 months?

Good afternoon Doctor,

I was wondering if you could please help me with some advice or recommendation as I''''m starting to stress slightly. About 8 months ago my fingers starting going numb a few weeks after I''''d had quite a bad back/neck spasm (which I''''ve seemed to get fairly often through my life). Over the weeks and months it progressed into the whole of my left side of my body and has now started moving onto the right side as well. It usually starts with an ice-cold feeling that burns and also itches, and then it goes numb.

The numbness I have adapted around until such time as I can have it seen to, but what''''s disturbing me is that over the last 3 or so months my balance and co-ordination has been becoming more and more off, I constantly feel as though I am falling and need to concentrate just to stay balanced while walking or stepping or anything. Have had quite a few embarrassing clumsy trips already. Also, about 3 weeks ago I started seeing light flashes in the corner of my right eye which came and went over 2 or 3 days, this was accompanied by great pain every time I moved my eye, and my vision has gone all blurred and weird since then. I had a similar thing with my eye about 10 years ago when I was told it was optic neuritis.

I have made an appointment with a chiropractor for Monday as my family believes it could be a pinched nerve. I however, am wondering if that could be the case or should I have checked with a normal GP before going straight to a chiropractor? I''''m a little uncertain whether all these things could all be linked to a pinched nerve? And I''''m not sure how the loss of clear vision in my eye could also be linked? I''''ve never been involved in any type of accidents or injuries, although I do seem to get muscle spasms rather easily, but I don''''t want to spend all the time and money involved in going to a chiropractor if it''''s actually not necessary or I need to be seeing another type of specialist?

Thanks for your time! :)

Michele

Hallo Michele
I think your gut feeling of seeing your GP is a good idea - there are a few worrying symptoms and as a GP I would have done a full neurological examination and also referred you to a neurologist. I think you may need a brain scan to see what the possible cause of the balance problems could be (increased pressure in the brain, to exclude a tumour, to exclude disease like Multiple sclerosis)

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/07/29

Hallo Michele