Question
Posted by: R | 2008/06/25

Pimples and wrinkles?

Hi, my husband has a very fair complexion, with lots of freckles and although he has predominanately dark hair, he does tend to have some ginger hair.
He is twenty five, and has family history of prematuring graying. My concern is that while he is going grey and getting a little wrinkly - he is also breaking out with pimples regularly. Not just on his face but also his scalp and back.
He has tried changing diet, drinking water, changing facial cleansers etc to no avail.
Any ideas?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi R, thank you for the question.

Your best approach would be for your husband to consult a dermatologist who can examine the pimple/acne outbreaks and advise him on the appropriate treatment regime. Mild to moderate acne can be treated with an ‘at home’ regime but certain cases of moderate and severe acne will need a prescription treatment.
You can go to my webpage www.aestheticfacialenhancement.co.za and grade the acne according to the Leeds Acne Classification System (under the resources tab).

Grades 0 to 3 can be treated as follows:
Avoid the sun as much as possible.
Use oil free moisturizers and SPF.
Use SPF (oil free) daily that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide.
Do not pick or squeeze the acne/pimples or traumatize the skin in any way.
Do not scrub or exfoliate the skin.
Glycolic and salicylic acid facial wash.
Start a topical acne treatment regime (I will use NeoStrata as an example):
Oil control gel, Clear Skin Solution, Oil Free Moisturizer with SPF, NeoCeuticals Clarifying Facial Wash, and Spot Treatment Gel
One can add glycolic or salicylic acid chemical peels to this topical regime.
Grades 4 & 5 will need the above topical treatment regime and may require prescription medication as well.

As your husband has a fair complexion with freckles he should avoid the sun as much as possible (wear a hat) and should use a SPF 30 or higher applied several times daily. The main reason for this is the increased incidence of skin cancer with fair skinned individuals as well as the early onset of wrinkles, skin texture changes, and pigmentory changes.